Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Wilds

Jon's Father's Day present this year was a trip to The Wilds.  I had reserved a yurt for us to spend the night, and we were going to get a safari tour, and in the morning Jon was going to go on a fishing trip while I sat on the deck and read a book.  It was fantastic.  First, I was surprised by the quality of the food.  Having been to a party at the zoo, I was nervous about the catering that was included since this place is owned by the Columbus Zoo, but it was FANTASTIC.  Organic and local food prepared by a chef.  We ate well.  We were some of the youngest people at the yurts, but we enjoyed meeting and talking to the others around a campfire that overlooked a big lake at night.  The yurts weren't air conditioned and we had great weather for a July weekend - it wasn't too hot - but we were told they are vented and have heaters, so they are good from May to September or October, when they are open.  Our safari tour on Friday evening was a ton of fun - I got a lot of great pictures, and Jon loved fishing on Saturday morning.  Meanwhile, I had a leisurely breakfast and then read a book in the peace and quiet...I almost didn't know what to do with myself : )  This little getaway was fantastic for us to hang out and have fun together.
 
 

Camel
Rhino


On Safari!
Giraffes



Catfish - lots and lots of catfish
 

Lots of lakes - filled in after coal miners finished with the area.
Jon is planning his next fishing trip.

Cheetah


More Giraffes
 

Zebra

 
Ostrich

Our Yurt
Sunset campfire overlooking The Wilds


The Yurts Wooded Area


No comments: