We went to the new Stingray Bay exhibit at the Columbus Zoo with Jon's friend Alicia, the 8th grade math teacher at his school. Her kids are really close in age to ours, so we all went together. You can actually pet and feed the stingrays. Hannah really liked petting them, but wasn't crazy about feeding them (because you have to let them suck it off of your hand. She tried a few times, but Jon ended up doing the feeding.
We had never actually ridden any of the rides at Jungle Jack's landing, so today we rode rides and it ended up being a lot of fun. Lauren was too little to ride most of them, so Jon and I took turns going with Hannah. She was LOVING the rides. We even enjoyed a picnic lunch together, and it was fun to watch the kids share with each other since they had different lunches.
While at the zoo, Hannah rode her first roller coaster - The Sea Dragon - she had seen ads for Cedar Point on tv and kept saying that she wanted to ride a roller coaster. This one was small, but big for a five-year-old. I agreed to take her (I don't like roller coasters) and on the walk up to the platform told her that "I had a secret to tell her - I'm scared of roller coasters". She grabbed my hand and told me not to be scared, that she was with me and so was God. She was actually super excited and "calming me down" (I really wasn't scared, but seeing that she loves to comfort others....it made her the brave one!) until we got to the top of the hill - she was good on the way up and telling me to not be scared.... The first hill was a big one on the wooden roller coaster and she was definitely upset when we started to go downhill, but I talked her though the end. She was a little shaken and I don't think she realized what it would be like to actually RIDE the roller coaster, but she did a great job with only a few tears. I was certainly impressed with how brave she was. Here's a shot of the first coaster she rode - I didn't think to get one of her walking up the ramp.....and afterwards wasn't a good time to do it ; )

No comments:
Post a Comment