Last time I wrote I was wondering when I could go back to work....and I was allowed to go back to work on Wednesday, with some restrictions on my day -- I could only work 9-5 and I had to take a 15 minute break to lie down every 2 hours. (Really cramping my "style", but I understand that my health (and the baby's health) is most important.) By the time I got to work on Wednesday morning, the firm had already moved a couch into my office and switched my parking to a closer garage. My secretary very strictly monitored my breaks, and everyone at work was really good about my workload and making sure I was okay before we figured out the work part of things.
Things were going really well until Friday afternoon -- I had more bleeding at work and called the doctor's office -- they promptly sent me to Riverside (Riverside Methodist, a local hospital here), and as I type this message on Sunday afternoon, I'm still at Riverside. Jon met me at the hospital and by "sheer chance" (lots of prayer) my doctor (who doesn't often work on Fridays) was at the hospital for a surgery and the triage nurse saw him getting a cup of coffee and drug him into my room. So, we got to meet with him instead of the parade of residents (sorry to my younger doctor friends, but I know you understand). It made Jon feel much better to talk to our doctor, since Jon had missed my Monday afternoon appointment where we'd talked about risks and goals of the pregnancy.
Basically, we're only at 25 weeks -- past the point of viability -- but no one wants this kid to come out anytime soon. So, I was admitted Friday night....with a clear liquids only diet, and strict bed rest (i.e ., no getting up even for the bathroom), and these boots that puff air every 6 seconds into alternating feet to keep you from getting blood clots. Needless to say I didn't sleep at at Friday night (I was counting the minutes until 5am when I was SURE my mom would be up and I'd have someone to call!) By Saturday morning I was allowed to remove the boots, was onto real food (hospital oatmeal is like Thanksgiving dinner when you haven't had anything to eat in what feels like forever -- even the nurse was surprised I ate it; it is apparently very bad), and was allowed to get up for the bathroom. A real day of progress. Today I was allowed to take a shower and I got my IV removed (but had to leave the port in since I will likely be here for at least a few more days this week). Trust me when I tell you that I am really learning about small steps and simple pleasures at this point! The nursing staff has been great and when you're in the maternity ward, they actually let you sleep from 11pm until 5am without bothering you for vitals and all of that stuff.
So, the big question -- how long will I be here? At this point they aren't sure. I know for sure that I am not allowed to go back to work anytime soon, but my doctor said that I some point we can negotiate how many hours I can put in on the laptop from bed. I will be in the hospital for at least part of this week and "we'll see" about a discharge to home bed rest after that. The real issue right now is that since I'm only in my 6th month, it is much safer to be a floor away from a delivery room instead of across town, so that is the risk that is being evaluated. I've gotten some steroids to help the baby develop (lungs, among other things) just in case we have a real problem (and the only way to "fix" a real problem is to deliver the baby).
The goals that the doctor is setting are as follows: short term -- get to 28 weeks; longer term -- get to 30-32 weeks; even better -- get to 34 weeks (when everything is developed, but we're just waiting on the baby to grow); and best case goal -- my placenta "moves" as my uterus grows and this all goes away and I deliver full term. In the meantime, know that I'm fine and am not yet too terribly bored...and the baby is very active, healthy and growing.
No comments:
Post a Comment