We've had a few complications with our pregnancy, but everything is fine right now.
First of all, after attending my firm's Christmas party on Saturday night, Jon & I had a low-key evening at home watching TV and then went to bed. On Sunday morning I woke up to some bleeding and my doctor wanted me to go to the hospital to be monitored.....at the hospital they couldn't really tell us much (despite having 5 ultrasounds and seeing 3 doctors -- at one point, all at the same time), other than that my placenta was a little low (they couldn't even tell the sex with 5 ultrasounds -- trust me, Jon asked!!), and the bleeding stopped, so I was allowed to go home. I was told that if I had no more bleeding I could go to work Monday, but that I was to follow up with my doctor in 5-7 days. My instructions after leaving the hospital were "limited activity" so I spent the night on the couch....with Jon monitoring how often I got up -- he is very strict!
Well, today I woke up to a little more....so I called the doctor and got an appointment for that afternoon. I was told not to go to work and to spend the day on the couch. During my appointment I saw my regular doctor -- he is a specialist in high-risk pregnancies (even though I'm not high-risk). I had 2 more ultrasounds. During the first, the doctor told me that the baby is super healthy and above average in size/weight (despite the fact that my belly is still so small). I have now gained almost 10 lbs, so we're doing fine in that regard. The baby weighs 1 lb, 11 oz right now.....and is a GIRL. He got a definitive shot, so now we know for sure (despite all of the previous "inconclusive" ultrasounds yesterday and the main one two weeks before). Jon missed this appointment because of school, but the doctor supplied him a picture because I'd told the doctor how much he wanted to know what we were having.
During my second ultrasound the doctor confirmed that I have what he is calling a mild case of placenta previa. What the heck is that??? Basically, when you have placenta previa the placenta is over the cervix.....in my case, it is not quite over the cervix, but is close enough to cause him concern (so he's calling it a "marginal previa"). Typically with a previa you have to have a c-section, although he told me he has been able to do vaginal deliveries where the placenta was only a little over the opening and he was able to induce and manipulate the baby out without disrupting the placenta. What does this mean for me??? Well, we now have a goal of keeping me from finishing out this pregnancy in the hospital. It is very difficult to predict what will cause bleeding from a previa and it can be dangerous, so the goal is just prevention (he likened predicting what can cause it to predicting earthquakes -- almost impossible).
How will it change things??? I am not to work again tomorrow, but if there is no more bleeding he will let me go back to work on Wednesday. I am no longer permitted to walk the dog. I am no longer to exercise. I am to basically become sedentary. I had to ask what "lie low" meant because I'm not one to enjoy sitting around......basically when I am not at work, I am not to carry anything heavy, the mall is off limits, walking a lot is off limits, etc.
The prospect of sitting around does not make me a happy camper, but I will follow the doctor's orders...and I live with a drill sergeant who will strictly enforce the rules. My doctor told me that I'll likely have ultrasounds at every appointment from here on out....and if the placenta moves out of the way, I can start to get privileges back. Until then, nadda. Should I start to bleed again, I will likely be sent to the hospital to finish out my pregnancy.....if it is only a small amount, I might be able to just be confined to home....but the goal is to avoid both scenarios.
No comments:
Post a Comment