Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I'm a big girl now!

Hannah & Abby

Yesterday we had Hannah's 2-month check-up (even though she is almost 3 months). We had a good doctor visit (despite the 4 vaccinations that Hannah got - I'm sure she didn't enjoy them). We got some good news from Dr. Ann during our visit:

  • Hannah's head circumference is caught up to a term baby
  • Dr. Ann was surprised that Hannah's length is caught up to a full term baby (21 inches). Usually preemies take longer to catch up in this area, so maybe Daddy's "tall genes" have something to do with her growth.

Hannah sleeping (and growing!)

Even though I'm nursing, those of you who have been around for Hannah's feedings know that sometimes feeding her takes a bit of math and is almost like a chemistry experiment. Her nutritionist at the hospital wanted us to give her at least 4 bottles of my pumped milk with Neosure (a preemie formula) as a supplement each day. We were given a special 70 mL to 1 tsp. ratio....so anytime she wasn't taking exactly 70 mL we had a lot of mixing and pouring to do. We were told that we'd do this until she was 4 months old and then the doctor would evaluate her weight gain and let us know when we could discontinue.
  • We can discontinue the Neosure early!!!

I'm super excited, so now I can just nurse (or Jon can give her a bottle) with nothing added. She'll still get daily vitamins, but that's it. It's just up to me to eat a healthy diet and make sure she gets all of her nutrients. Lately, she had been nursing every 1 or 2 hours (or sometimes every 30 minutes) instead of the nice 3-hour schedule she was on when she came home from the hospital. It really made things hard with my pumping schedule, since I had to pump for her bottles. At one point I was afraid I wasn't making enough when she needed to eat. WRONG.

  • Our little girl now weights 7 POUNDS, 14 OUNCES!!!

She's gained over a pound and a half in 3 weeks. The doctor was floored at her weight gain and said that Hannah had a mega growth spurt the past few weeks. That explains why I felt like I was constantly nursing - I was!

Our big girl

I asked our doctor about taking Hannah out and about before she hits 4 months since she's growing so well, but that is still a no go. It is still RSV season and it is better to be safe than sorry, so we can do open air public places, but still no restaurants, malls, church, etc. Although I'd love to take her out and show her off, we got enough good news at our visit that I won't push it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a big girl she is getting to be!