Friday, November 25, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving we hosted the Woolley side of the family.  This year's Thanksgiving meal planning was all set weeks in advance and I'd planned to take off the day before Thanksgiving to have some quality time with the girls at home, do my grocery shopping, and make pumpkin rolls.  Instead, life (well, actually work) intervened. 

I was starting to get sick earlier in the week, and by Tuesday afternoon I wasn't feel all that great, but a client wanted to have a meeting downtown Wednesday morning.  I (reluctantly) agreed to participate from 7:30-9:30am, but told them I had another commitment that would keep me from participating after that point.  No questions were asked, but my "other commitment" was a play date with Hannah's preschool friends!  So, I dressed for work and took my box of tissues with me, did the meeting (blowing my nose and hand sanitizing througout!), and as I was getting ready to leave the meeting, was asked to do a phone call later in the afternoon.  I (again, reluctantly) agreed but said it would have to be moved back 30 minutes (playdate priorities!)....then when they told me they wanted me back downtown with the client, I said it would have to be moved back 60 minutes.  At that point I thought that there is no way they'd move a call with 1/2 dozen lawyers back an hour the day before Thanksgiving, but they did.  So, I ran home, changed into "mom" clothes, went to a fun playdate, came home, put the girls down for naps and changed back into lawyer clothes and drove downtown for the call.  They call ended up taking over 2 hours, so back home again around 5pm.....to work at home on other stuff I'd promised to clients "before Thanksgiving."  At about 6:30, I finished my work and ate dinner with the family, feeling totally crappy and having none of my stuff done for Thursday.  I played with the girls a little and put them to bed.  At that point, around 8 or 8:30pm, Jon sent me to bed and told me I could grocery shop later in the evening with Danila.  When Josh & Danila arrived about 10pm, I woke up started about not having groceries and the store closing.  My wonderful husband and sister-in-law and brother-in-law took my grocery list and left the house at 11pm to get my groceries (while I prepped the turkey that had arrived from Pittsburgh).  I finished with the turkey and went to bed.  When I woke up on Thanksgiving day, not only were my groceries purchased, but a bunch of the prep work for the side items was already done.  How wonderful!!!!

Thanksgiving itself was quite nice -- we had a great meal and everyone enjoyed themselves.  We're to the point of having a kids table for Hannah and Gavin, which is fun.  We had leftovers to enjoy later in the evening, and had a great time visiting and playing games. 
Hannah shows Uncle Josh how the I-Pad works
Lauren has taken to climbing....and of course Hannah is more than willing to help her out.
Today, Jon and Josh got up at 4am and got me a great Black Friday deal on a new washer and dryer....and we were able to give Jon's parents our old set!  All of the ladies went shopping at the outlets, but since shopping isn't quite my thing (and I wasn't feeling 100%), I stayed home and did some Christmas shopping online and watched the kids.  It worked out great b/c the women were shopping ALL DAY!  I enjoyed resting in a quiet house.  Everyone was back at our house for leftovers and then pizza later on.... After our meal, we set up the furniture in the front room for a mini photo shoot for the Ely's....here are my test pictures to make sure the lighting and props were in the right place....
Danila
Hannah

No comments: