For anyone who doesn't know what RSV is, click here for an explanation.
RSV hit our house this week. Well, we actually don't know when it hit our house, but we do know that Lauren has it. Last week Hannah had a little cold with a cough and runny nose. We kept her home from Lisa's for a few days because of her cough and runny nose, and mid-week Lauren started to cough too. Then, on Friday morning Lauren threw up her entire first feeding, with force. I called the pediatrician, but there weren't any same-day sick appointments left by the time I called, so the nurse suggested we go to Urgent Care when it opened at 3pm as a precaution. So, we went to Urgent Care and they saw Lauren. They tested her for pertussis (which was negative), but told us that she likely just had a cold and to elevate the head of her bed and run a humidifier in her room (things I was already doing). On Saturday, Sunday, and Monday she threw up her first feeds again and was coughing a lot. So, Monday I called the pediatrician again. Once again, by lunchtime they were out of same-day sick appointments, but the nurse suggested I call back first thing Tuesday so she could be seen. Lauren had a slight fever Monday night, but it never got above 100.
Well, on Tuesday I waited to see if she was going to throw up (since she was also sleeping a little more than usual) and she actually didn't. BUT, she coughed so much that she'd lost her voice. When she would cry, it would come out as a whisper, even though she was really crying. Fortunately, there were still appointments left when I called at 10am. So, to the doctor's office we went! The doctor said it was likely a cold and that I was doing all of the right things, but she tested Lauren for known viruses so we'd have information if anything changed. Lauren did have some wheezing in her lungs and a lot of congestion, but didn't have a fever and was acting fine (other than the cough).
Last night we talked to the nurse at the doctor's office and they told us that Lauren was positive for RSV. Since it is a virus, there isn't much you can do -- but you do have to watch out for breathing problems in kids under 2. RSV was a huge concern for Hannah when she was little, since preemies are usually impacted more by RSV (since their lungs are underdeveloped) -- many preemies with RSV require hospitalization. So, although it is horrible to see Lauren cry and have nothing come out, we're very fortunate that it is our full-term baby that got the virus and she's been able to fight it off.
Since Lauren wasn't really crying, I stayed in her room with her all night on Tuesday and slept in the rocking chair. By 4am I was tired of sleeping sitting up and holding her (since I also doubt I was actually sleeping much), so I grabbed a comforter from the guest room and made a nest on the floor. When Hannah got up in the morning she told me that she wanted to stay home with me, but since I hadn't slept that was not an option! Last night we moved the humidifier into the guest room and I actually got some sleep with Lauren with me.
However, this morning she woke up with her eyes sealed shut from "eye junk". I called the doctor's office (again) and asked if it was related to the RSV or if it was something new. Likely new, according to the nurse, so back we went! (We should get some frequent flier miles!) Fortunately, the eye infection wasn't a symptom of an ear infection, and some drops should clear it up. In fact, after just one application they are already looking better. The doctor told us that Lauren is the happiest baby she's seen with RSV. Lauren smiled at her through a giant coughing fit and was just her happy self in the exam room. Our doctor actually told us that Lauren will probably only continue to improve and she's probably already weathered the worse of the RSV, but we're still keeping her home for the next few days just in case. We have our well-child 4 month appointment on Monday, so we'll see if we get the "all clear" then.
I've learned that I have about a 2-day limit for going without sleep and that I'm thankful to have a babysitter to send the pre-schooler so I can just "baby" the baby. I've also learned that it is horrible to have a sick baby (Hannah wasn't sick as a baby, so we didn't have experience) -- especially when they can't cry loudly to tell you there is a problem. This cough will likely linger for a few weeks, so I'll probably feel bad about that until it stops - even if Lauren is smiling through it.
1 comment:
Hope she's doing better now!
Post a Comment