Monday, March 14, 2011

Sleeping Baby

 
Lauren loves to sleep on her tummy.  
(with a fist or thumb in her mouth)

Fortunately, the doctor told us that she's strong enough and has enough motor control that it's okay if I do it, since the risk of SIDS really drops off at 4 months....so I am no longer the rouge sleep-sack wearing, breathable-bumper using parent who puts their "back to sleep" embroidered child on her stomach!  Of course, our doctor gave me a "the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends" talk, but also told me that she understood and that some kids just sleep better on their tummies.

We flipped Hannah right about 4 months, and now we've done the same with Lauren.  A few weeks ago I noticed that she'd take a long afternoon nap sleeping on my chest, but not in her crib on her back, and she'd be really cranky in the evening if she didn't take a good long nap (but I didn't want to lay around for hours every afternoon so she could sleep).  So, I flipped her for one of her naps and she was more pleasant in the evenings and slept well.  We didn't want to flip her at night right away, since I'm not up and checking on her, but I flipped her last night and she slept great and woke up with a giant smile on her face.  I don't know that it is an every night thing at this point, since she does sleep better than Hannah ever did on her back, but we'll just see how things go.

No comments: