Joann & Glenn Harms
Sally, Jon, Rachel & Ron
Jon's mom mentioned to me a few weeks ago that their friends, the Harms', were going to be in town. I offered our house up as a meeting spot, but ultimately they decided to do everything at Rachel's house. That worked out really well, since work was busy during the week and I didn't clean up at all during the week and I'd forgotten about a haircut I had scheduled that day until the night before when I got my reminder call. Jon thought about going over to Rachel's, but ultimately decided that he'd stay home and not mess with nap time.
Fast forward to 9am today, when Rachel called and said her boys were sick and she wanted to know if everyone could come over to our house. Gulp. I surveyed the first floor of our house, which looked like a bomb had gone off, took a deep breath and said "no problem." I promptly hung up the phone and told Jon to get moving! Somehow we managed to de-clutter the entire first floor of our house, clean the kitchen, shower, get everyone dressed, and make a pie. All before 11am. Jon went up to shower and was amazed at what I got done in the first 20 minutes (panic can do that to a girl!), but he said he was complimenting me on how organized and task-oriented I am, as he reminded me that he could have never done what I did, even with twice the amount of time : ) At any rate, although I know people don't care what your house looks like when they come to visit, I care.....especially when walking is hazardous due to toys and it's not just clutter on your kitchen counters, but dirty dishes too.
I left for my haircut with everything ready to go....and the Harms' were a little late in arriving, which worked out well, so I could visit with them a little too when I got home. They didn't stay long, but it was a nice visit. Jon had always talked about how one of his favorite places he lived growing up was in a farmhouse they rented to his family in Illinois. They are definitely some of the nicest people out there and I'm glad Ron & Sally got to visit with their long-time friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment