Susan had asked me to be Jaidyn's godmother a few weeks ago....she told me that she wanted me to do it because I have had and continue to maintain a strong relationship with God, family, church, etc. and that she thought there couldn't be a better person for the role. She told me that teaching my child to pray and taking her to church was the type of example that she was proud I was setting with Hannah. It is really nice to know that I'm living out my faith in a noticeable way.
Of course, the biggest problem with me being a godparent in the Catholic church is that I stopped going to Catholic church and started going to church with Jon when we were seriously dating. Jon, after a previous Catholic girlfriend, RCIA classes, and hours of discussions with priests, just couldn't come to terms with some doctrinal issues and insisted that we attend church together - and not a Catholic one - if we were going to be serious. I agreed that it was important and so we found a church together and it's been a number of years since I'd been to Mass. I actually suggested to Susan that I just serve as a witness, since I wasn't really "qualified" (in the Church's eyes) for the role - she didn't like that idea and asked me to see what I could do. In the end, the place I used to attend still had me in the record books so we could provide appropriate documentation to the church. [Amazingly, I discovered that the reason you have to be a member of a parish to be a godparent dates back to the middle ages when Catholics were being persecuted -- the church required someone on the "inside" to vouch for (i.e., sponsor) you when getting baptized (at the time, baptisms were typically adults only)...which is where the rule developed.] During the Mass, my only role was to answer affirmatively that "yes" I will support the parents in raising Jaidyn as a Christian -- and I can certainly (and will) do that! While I do realize I don't technically fit the Church's requirements, I do take my role seriously and am praying for this little girl every day and want to do my part to help her grow in faith and come to love Jesus someday.
Jaidyn's baptism was on the "Feast of the Family" - a perfect day to celebrate a baptism because the baptism is all about parents and godparents affirming their desire to raise the child as a Christian and do all they can to support that. The homily was about the family's role in developing faith and how the church family plays an important role in that too. The church (and even the larger community) is to come alongside the natural family and assist them, support them, and help nurture children to grow in faith -- part of the "it takes a village" philosophy. We were told about how a family can really be anyone who shows you love, and as an example of that we heard about a home for orphans run by nuns that has been a "family" for children who otherwise wouldn't have one. I know that there have been many times when friends have served a very important role in my life - both as a child and an adult - and shown me love in numerous ways that made them like family. I hope that I can help nurture Jaidyn and show her love as she grows up so that she thinks of me as part of her family.
Me, Jaidyn & Susan before Mass
(minutes before Jaidyn ripped a giant piece of lace off the front of her dress - Jaidyn was wearing Susan's baptismal outfit and no one realized how easily 30-year-old lace tore...at least we got at least one picture of her in the outfit before she ripped it)
Julie & Jaidyn
Getting ready for the baptism
Jaidyn is baptised!! Welcome as a member of the Church!
(she did not like the water!)
The priest is telling us the water was cold!
(we didn't get Jaidyn's pouty-lip picture)
Listening to the priest tell Susan & Gary about their responsibility as parents
Parents & Godparents
(Gary's brother, Brian, is the godfather)
No comments:
Post a Comment