Sunday, February 6, 2011

Trip to WV

I decided to surprise my mom for her birthday this weekend.  Actually, Hannah decided to surprise her.  All day Thursday Hannah was talking about how she was going to Grandma's.  I said no, so we called Grandma and she got to talk to her instead.  At dinner, Hannah announced that we were going to Grandma's tomorrow.  I told her no, that Daddy had to work, so we couldn't go.  Well, Hannah's response was "Daddy doesn't have to go."  Jon and I looked at each other and decided that sure, the girls could go for a night.  So, the plan was in motion.  I called my dad to let him know our plans and to try to keep it secret from mom.  Since Dad doesn't hear well at all, I had him repeat back to me everything we discussed (and had him check the answering machine to make sure it didn't record our call, like the last time I'd talked to him....).  Our plan was to leave Friday morning and arrive after lunch in time for naps, then mom would come home after work, and then we'd head back Saturday during nap time.  Hannah ran upstairs after dinner and started packing her bag.  With some direction, she packed herself and Lauren.  She was so excited that she even put her blankie and bear that she sleeps with in her bag so she wouldn't forget them in the morning. 

On Friday, Dad went and got some food for us and a cake for mom.  Meanwhile, Hannah was up as soon as the sun was up telling me that she was ready to go!  We left a little later than expected, but Lauren slept the ENTIRE way.  I was afraid I'd have to feed her since she fell asleep before we left, but we did drive through McDonald's for Hannah ("Mom - I'm getting a special treat?  You're letting me eat in the car?!"), and we managed to not stop until we got to WV.  I'd alerted a few special folks that I was heading home with Lauren, so we got to visit with the Morgan's (who were waiting on me when I pulled in the drive!) for a while in the afternoon.  It was so good to see them and I'm glad they got to see Lauren while she's still "little."

Despite it being a Friday, Mom stayed at work late and didn't get home until 5:30.  Dad had warned me that if we didn't see her car by 4:30, it would be after 5.... When we finally saw the car, I told Hannah we were going to hide to surprise Grandma.  Hannah took off for under the dining room table.  I grabbed her and we hid in the den (since it has a door) instead.  As soon as Hannah heard the back door, she started to giggle, so I put my hand over her mouth.  Dad told Mom he had a surprise for her in the TV room and she opened the door....and was quite surprised!  She never expected us - especially since it was so quiet (and Dad hid my car behind the garage). 

So, Friday night we had a nice dinner with Grandma, complete with cake and ice cream.  My friend, Merritt, and two of her four kids came out to visit and meet Lauren after dinner.  On Saturday (Mom's actual birthday), Hannah spent lots of time playing with her grandparents and I spent lots of time resting, since Lauren didn't sleep well.  After a nap, I decided that I wasn't going to drive home in the afternoon, so we stayed a second night.  Hannah got to make pepperoni rolls with my mom and she also got "movie night" with POPCORN with my Dad.  We (amazingly) managed to get this old VHS tape of short, really old Disney Christmas videos to play.  Hannah loved it!  We left to head home on Sunday morning, with mom telling me that her most memorable birthday was her 60th, when she got to hold Hannah for the first time and how her grandkids make her birthdays now really special.  

Poor Jon was left home alone all weekend, and although he thought he'd really enjoy the break from us girls, he said he was actually quite bored home all alone. 
Merritt, David & Emma Grimes with Hannah and Lauren
Hannah, playing with a beauty set Karen & I had as kids, "drying" Grandma's hair
Lauren in the bouncy
Pop-pop and Hannah going through old pictures
Grandma and the girls
Lauren's 1st WV trip!

No comments: