When we were leaving my aunt and uncle's house, Jon asked me to remind him of how we were all related and I explained that Aunt Eleanor and my Grandpap Catney were brother and sister. He continues to be amazed at how we were so close to our extended family, since he isn't even sure if his grandparents had siblings. His family was much more spread apart than mine, so his nuclear family is really close, but he never really got to know his extended family growing up. My family isn't nearly as spread out, so we saw the extended family a great deal. I don't really remember much about many of the Folger grandparent siblings because many of them had passed on before I was even born, but I did have a gaggle of cousins and second cousins that we visited at family gatherings.
Jon and I realize how much richness an extended family can bring to kids growing up, so we're hopeful that in today's busy and over-committed world we can make sure our kids know their relatives.
3 comments:
I will always remember the day I got to meet you and hold you in my arms. I love being your Great Great. We enjoyed your visit to Uniontown,Pa. I visit The Woolley Family daily to watch you grow and smile at me. Hugs and Kisses to you and Mom and Dad. Love Great Great El.
Since nearly all of my family is passed away your family, especially your mom who has seemed for years like my "second" mom has always made me and my kids feel like part of your family, not just cousins and second cousins. We hope to see you before school starts. Love, T, N & L
Hi Julie!
Your mom is my cousin and she gave me the address to your wonderful blog and that of your sister, that I haven't gotten to yet. I am so touched by your writing style that I want to read every entry here!
I think we may have actually met once at your Granma's house, while your Granpa was still alive.
Now that my dad, who would have been your Great Great Uncle Paul, has passed away last October, as well as your Granpa and now, your Great Great Uncle Ray, it makes me want to know more about the rest of my extended family, and this blog of yours really helps me to do that.
Thank you so much for putting your thoughts and feelings and emotions and all these great photos online to share with everyone. You have inspired me to try my hand at a blog, too, and let you get to know your cousins from Texas better!
Your mom and sister and Granma and Granpa have always been so sweet to me and my family, as well as Uncle Ray and Aunt Eleanor and Uncle Bernie and Aunt Rainy.
I remember our marathon family treks up there with six kids piled in the back of the station wagon as my dad would drive all night and day to get there with very few stops along the way.
When we finally arrived, we must have looked like wild animals being let out of the zoo! But, we always had such a great time once we got there, we never wanted to leave, either.
I so wish I could be there today with you all at Uncle Ray's funeral. He was truly the light of Aunt Eleanor's life, and his personality was always larger than life. Whenever I described him to someone, I said he reminded me a lot of John Wayne, not only in his mannerisms but the way he cared about people in such a loving way. He joins my dad and your Granpa, both whom also loved him very much, and I'm sure they're up there trading stories & laughs!
Keep up the good work on your blog and give your adorable daughter a hug and kiss from me! God willing we will be able to see each other again someday in person! :)
Love to everyone there,
Connie
Post a Comment