Monday, June 2, 2008

Sleep

Around our house, sleep is a precious commodity. I haven't had a really good night's sleep since I went into the hospital in December. In the hospital it was an uncomfortable bed that "moved" to keep my circulation going, then it was pumping to keep a milk supply up with no baby around, then Hannah came home and it was feeding her....then we took her off supplements and I fed her even MORE OFTEN. So, almost 6 months after this ordeal started -- I'm really tired.

This past weekend, my law firm had its annual summer party. I wanted to go (they have good food!) and have a chance to get out of the house with Jon for the first time since Hannah came home. So, my parents came up for the weekend to babysit and help out with some projects around the house. My mom ended up staying up all night with Hannah both Friday night and Saturday night to let me get some sleep. On Saturday night, I slept for 5 hours IN A ROW. I had previously been averaging about 5 cobbled together hours. It was so wonderful - I felt like a new woman!!

To give you a taste of my nights -- my mom kept notes while she was up with Hannah because we're trying to keep a "sleep chart" to take to her pediatrician, if things don't improve by the time she hits 5 months (although right now she is only 2 months "adjusted," so her sleep isn't that abnormal). Here is what went on Friday night at our house when Mom took over:

12:30am - Julie put Hannah to bed
1:30 - 1:40 - AWAKE (held pacifier in with shoulder & held her; lots of gas)
2:15 - Laid her back in bed
2:25 - AWAKE (but then right back to sleep when put pacifier in her mouth - lots of sucking and gas)
4:00 - Awake and pleasant - just looking around
4:00 - 4:15 - Took bottle, burped (had gas while eating)
4:15 - 4:30 - Rocked her
4:30 - Put in bed (woke up with big toot; gave pacifier)
5:30 - Woke up
5:45 - 6:00 - Rocked her
6:00 - Back in bed

Now, my daughter doesn't typically take a pacifier -- she uses me -- but my mom was able to get her to take it some of the time while she was here. When it is just me around, I usually end up feeding her when she wakes up around 1:30 or 2am (and Mom told me she has a "convincing" cry, like she is hungry)....and I also end up feeding her around 6am. I was AMAZED that she only ate once Friday night, since she is usually up at least 3 times at night (not counting when I put her down for bed at 8pm and 10:30pm). Maybe we are turning a corner.....

No comments: