We moved Hannah into her big-girl room over Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend. Originally, I'd planned to have her new room all ready to go on Thursday night, so we'd have 4 days to adjust to the change (in case she was up at night) before having to go back to work. As usual, things didn't go as planned. I worked late on Thursday, so I was still moving stuff around on Friday.
During Hannah's nap on Friday afternoon, I finished moving everything around - mind you, I was home alone moving a queen-sized bed out, twin in, and a rocking chair, dressers around, etc. Moving furniture is sometimes like therapy to me -- get all of your frustrations out with the pushing and pulling of heavy stuff!
We had painted the guest room a light green during my first trimester with Hannah, and the color ended up working out to be Hannah's new room. I never did a real nursery for her since I went into the hospital before we even knew for sure that we were having a girl....and the nursery isn't for the baby anyway, right? As a result, Hannah's "nursery" was done in primary colors and was the same theme the 3-year old boy who used to live in our house had. We did have some flowery sheets for the crib, but that was it. So, her "big girl" room would be my first chance to decorate for my girl, and to me it was more fun to do it now that I know her personality and can see her experience it for the first time. My sister-in-law, Danila, and I found the bedding at the Pottery Barn Kids outlet for WAY CHEAP. I'd had my eye on a different pattern, but cheapskates can't be choosy - especially when the price is right. So, we found this adorable polka-dot pattern that worked with the current wall color and a theme was born. I ordered her wall art of of Etsy and found some really cute stuff!
When Hannah woke up from her nap I took her to show off her new room. Hannah was thrilled!!! She kept running through the room saying "Hannah's room" and "my room" and "Hannah's bed" and checking everything out. It was so much fun and she was so genuinely excited. I loved it. Here are the pictures (sorry there are so many, but I wanted to include her excitement over the room without doing another post!):
Hannah climbed into her chair right away and asked me to read books!
Then, she ran over to her bed and started to jump on it like they monkeys in the book....it was hilarious!
This is what the finished room looks like. Her bed is just a box spring and mattress on the floor (so we don't have to worry about rails or anything like that yet). I didn't have the wall art up when we first moved her in, but it is up now.
Wall art over the bed
(the pictures that show an "H" are from when I had the template taped up to test where I wanted to put the final product)
After I ordered these I found animals that had polka dots around the edge in the exact colors of her bedding (from the same artist) and I thought I wanted to use them instead. However, once I got both sets, Jon said he really preferred the monkeys, especially since Hannah is such a climber. Hannah actually likes the monkeys too -- she kept saying "Mommy, Monkeys!" when I hung them up and she tells them "good night monkey" every night.

Hannah cuddling with her blankie and bear
(really her room doesn't need anything, as long as she has that blankie and bear to tuck under her belly when she sleeps)

Hannah seems like such a big girl now that she's in her "big girl" room. Her diapering supplies are in a dresser drawer, and she gets out what she needs when she needs a "change" and lays down on the floor....she wants to pick out her own clothes, and tells you what books you'll read at night. She tells me who she wants to pray for (usually Abby, Daddy, Lisa, Emma, Brandon, and Aunt D...not Mommy....although recently she has started to include Grandma and Pap-pop (at least that what I think she says) and some other friends and relatives. She tells me to turn of the light so it is dark in her room, and when I tell her "goodnight" she tells me to "sleep tight" and "I luff you"....which melts my heart. She is growing up so very fast!
(really her room doesn't need anything, as long as she has that blankie and bear to tuck under her belly when she sleeps)
No comments:
Post a Comment