Monday, August 9, 2010

Diaper Cake

My sister can be so creative sometimes. She made me this diaper cake for me/the new baby (top picture is of the front....bottom picture is of the back). I've seen them at tons of showers before (but never received one) and contemplated making one myself for someone, but ran out of time (and motivation). I am definitely glad that I took pictures at my parents' house before we left because (a) Jon packed the car....I'll leave it at that, and (b) once we got it home I put it in the nursery as a decoration and Hannah picked it up to show me "baby sister's birthday cake"....and in the process dropped the bottom tier of diapers all over the floor.
A little birdie told me that Karen had actually really wanted to throw me a baby shower the weekend I was in WVa because she didn't get to participate in anything from when Hannah was born. My shower for Hannah was in the hospital right after Liam was born, so Karen didn't get to help or come to that one..... and she didn't get to come to the "Sip & See" that we had in WV so my mom's friends (and mine) from WV could meet Hannah once we were given the "all clear" to travel. But, Susan & I had thrown Karen a shower for Liam when Karen was 30 weeks and I was 20 weeks pregnant. Karen had actually wanted to have a joint shower at the time and I said no, that I wanted her shower to be just for her and be special and then I would have one later......of course, things don't always happen as planned, so Karen never got to be a part of that for me.

To be honest, I wouldn't have wanted another shower.....especially since we're having another girl - we've got just about everything we need except for diapers and the things that people don't like to buy you (soap, diaper genie refills, infant medicine, wipes, etc.). I've got 6 or 7 18-gallon bins of baby girl clothes in my basement that hopefully will work this time around! I also just don't like showers in general - I feel so self-conscious opening gifts in front of people....so my one mega-shower at the hospital, even though not traditional (in location, grouping, or circumstance) was more than enough for me. Although, I do really appreciate my sister's sentiment in wanting to throw one....and it makes me love her more for being so thoughtful.

No comments: