Sunday, August 8, 2010

Folger Homecoming 2010

I know I've written before about our annual "Folger Homecoming," which is just one of the first weekends in August where Mom has all of us kids come home for the weekend to visit with each other. Since I'm in Ohio, Karen is in Virginia, and Daniel is in New York, we're a little spread out to say the least. Mom asked us to consider this tradition back when Karen & I were engaged because she knew that once we had our own families, we wouldn't be gathering for holidays like we had in the past.

Of course, Mom was right, as this Thanksgiving we won't be in attendance due to the arrival of the new baby, and Jon and I are really "up in the air" as to whether we'll travel at Christmas in the future. [We alternate Christmas and Thanksgiving with our in-laws and since Karen & I got married the same year as all of Jon's siblings, it works out well since we're all on the same schedule. This year is Folger Thanksgiving and Woolley/Cassidy Christmas. Next year will flip.] Mom wants to make sure that we develop our own holiday traditions with our own family units and by having one time of the year where we can get together that isn't around a holiday really helps us to do that without having to worry about upsetting someone in the family by not showing up. Being married didn't change things nearly as much as having kids did.....and 2 kids....definite game-changer, I think.

This year's "Folger Homecoming" was the same weekend as my dad's big 70th birthday bash, so it was a little more hectic than usual. But, it was still nice to hang out together. Here are a few pictures that I didn't include in the blog about Dad's birthday.


Family Group Shot

Grandma & Grandpap with their grandkids

(l to r: Peyton, Liam, & Hannah)

Liam and Hannah holding Peyton

Hannah & Jaidyn checking out the bike My monkey child climbing all over me....
Hannah opening something...
....probably something she wasn't supposed to open.....
Hannah & Liam sharing fruit snacks on the back porch
Hannah & Liam washing hands together

These two are becoming friends, which is fun to watch. I love watching them play together....it's so neat that Karen & I had them at almost the same time.

Liam & Hannah giving Petyon kisses.....they were both so good with her!

We had a great time visiting over the weekend. Unfortunately for me, we probably won't get to see Karen & her family until March, assuming we take a spring break trip to DC with the new baby, since we'll be missing the holiday gathering in November. That is definitely the bad thing about having your extended family so spread apart.

FINALLY, I'M TAKING RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ANY NAME SUGGESTIONS OTHER THAN "FOLGER HOMECOMING" THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CALL OUR FAMILY GATHERING.....CREATIVE OPTIONS WELCOME. HOMECOMING REMINDS ME TOO MUCH OF SCHOOL : ) JUST LEAVE YOUR IDEA AS A COMMENT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We affectionately refer to it as the "Folger +++ Weekend" (Folger's plus any and all extended family).