Wow. I've carried a baby to term. Not an exciting milestone in every pregnancy, because people generally assume that they'll carry every baby to term, but for anyone who has ever had a pre-term birth, hitting "term" is something worth celebrating. I talked Jon into taking some "38 weeks" belly shots....even though term is actually 37 weeks, I didn't get around to pictures last week!
I also need to share that I won't be making it much past 38 weeks with this pregnancy....were my doctor not going out of town this weekend, I'd actually be having the baby tomorrow via an induction. Instead, an induction is scheduled for Monday, November 8th at 11am (well, that's when we are to report to the hospital - I'm assuming it will actually be underway sometime after lunch). I'm absolutely not thrilled about the prospect of being induced, but after weeks of monitoring my amniotic fluid levels, twice a week doctor appointments, and weekly ultrasounds, my doctor has determined that the "action versus inaction" scale has tipped and that this baby will be better off on the outside, rather than letting her come on her own and risk something happening in the meantime. We discussed the induction plan a few weeks ago and I didn't tell many people because I was really hopeful that he'd change his mind or that my fluid levels would come up enough that he wasn't worried anymore. However, that hasn't been the case, and after weeks of following me closely, he doesn't think one ultrasound showing plenty of fluid is going to be enough to change his mind.
To be honest, I hate the idea of being induced and the fact that my body can't just take care of things on its own. I look back to my delivery with Hannah, and my placenta was about ready to abrupt and my body managed to get Hannah out fast enough to prevent a serious problem for both of us were it to have abrupted. Part of me feels like if God managed to take care of me and prevent a very serious problem like an abruption, surely this fluid thing isn't that big of a deal and my body would be able to deliver this baby quick enough if a problem were to arise. However, there is a part of me that trusts my doctor and that he has been doing this a long time with good results....and Jon is 100% behind the doctor. In fact, after my appointment two weeks ago when we first discussed induction, I told Jon about it and how upset I was. He, on the other hand, was thrilled to have "a date" to plan around. He could get his lesson plans done, no last minute sub-calling, etc. I told him I was going to fervently pray the baby came on her own prior to the induction and he told me the only acceptable times would be Friday after school or over the weekend prior to Monday's induction. Anytime before that, and he won't have his lesson plans done or everything ready. Geesh. It's funny that I am so opposed to the induction, considering the planner that I am. However, I just want that "honey, we have to go to the hospital" moment that we never quite got the last time around. I don't want everything in life planned and feel like childbirth is one of those times were you get a good story when you're rushing around to get to the hospital. I guess we'll have to wait and see if she comes before Monday morning.
Please pray for us and the induction and that all goes well. I've heard that pitocin makes contractions stronger and longer, so I'm nervous and scared about the pain aspect of things (especially since my doctor has told me that (1) a labor with a placental abruption is typically quick and relatively painless, so I may not have experienced "real" labor last time, and (2) I'm likely to labor more like a 1st time mom this time around and so he isn't expecting me to have a labor as fast as the one with Hannah, which was only about 5 hours). I'm also just nervous about the potential risk for a failed induction -- when you're induced before 39 weeks, the risks are definitely higher that the baby isn't ready to come out and drugs won't help it along. In fact, you can only induce before 39 weeks if there is a medical reason to do so. If the baby hasn't dropped far enough into my pelvis, there is a risk of cord prolapse (cord coming out first before baby, which can cut off oxygen, etc. and almost always requires an emergency c-section), and there is a risk that the baby can't tolerate the drugs for a long labor. I don't like that either. Finally, the method of induction when your body isn't "ripe" involves a folly catheter being inserted that will manually dilate you....I've heard it is akin to torture, but have also heard that it helps things move along so you don't need as much pitocin to kick your body into gear. To me, no matter how you cut it, it won't be enjoyable. I guess I'm just hopeful that my body is "ripe" by Monday morning and that the experience is better than I'm expecting....and in the end we'll get to meet our daughter, so it will be worth it.
Well, here are what will likely be some of the last "belly shots" I (well, actually Jon...) have taken. Enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment