Well, we are officially a family of four.
Lauren Grace made her dramatic arrival into our lives at 12:08am.
Around 8pm last night I started to keep track of this funny pain in my tailbone. It didn't feel like the contractions that I had with Hannah, and was more uncomfortable than painful. However, it was like a wave that would come and go and when I started to keep track, there was no pattern -- 12 minutes, then 8 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 6 minutes.....since my doctor had told me there was no need to go to the hospital until contractions were 5 minutes apart for an hour, I didn't think much of it. Plus, on a pain scale it was only a 2-3 out of 10. Around 10pm Jon and I (finally) narrowed down our name list to four names, since we hadn't really discussed it much at all before last night. About 11pm I had a bowl of cereal and went to bed. I'd been on the phone with my cousin, who told me it was likely early labor and I should at least have my bags packed, but I should try to sleep if I could. Once I was in bed, I had 3 contractions that were 5 minutes apart and then my water broke. Poor Jon was up rubbing my back, then I sent him downstairs for a heating pad, then yelled for him to come back because my water broke...he really needed the ability to clone himself.
Once my water broke, I headed to the bathroom to clean up, promptly had 2 contractions that had me doubled over in pain (7-8 on the 10 point pain scale) and told myself that I was definitely getting an epidural the minute we got to Riverside (our hospital). Jon called his sister to come over and stay with Hannah and I called the doctor's office (where the recording said to go directly to the hospital if your membranes had ruptured). While Jon was loading up the car and we were waiting on his sister, I felt the urge to push. This occurred no more than 10-15 minutes after my water broke. I told Jon to call 911. At first he was hesitant because he figured they'd show up and say "yep, you're in labor," but he called anyways. The dispatcher had me lay on my side on the floor and had Jon cover me with a blanket. A few minutes later, Jon's sister arrived, followed immediately by the EMT's. Apparently the EMT's were strolling up to the house expecting to just transport me to the hospital. Jon met them and told them I was having the baby "right now" and they ran up to our bathroom....when the EMT checked me, the first thing he said was "she's crowning folks."
And so, Lauren Grace arrived about 30 minutes after my water broke. I was laying on our ceramic tile bathroom floor (not the most comfortable place to be when giving birth), with two teams of EMTs in my bathroom. I'll say that the EMT's didn't do much other than catch the baby (and out of four of them, only one of them had prior childbirth on the job experience -- I was #3 in 19 years of being an EMT).....one lady tried to remind me to "remember your breathing" but I was planning a hospital birth, where the nurses talk you through that kind of thing. I wasn't prepared to think or even talk while the whole birthing process was going on -- I was just screaming through the pain because there wasn't anyone to help me settle down and focus. All I know is that it hurt like I was on fire, but the pain was over fairly quickly. (Well, I assume it was quick based on the timing of events, but it seemed like forever when I was pushing...and in fact at one point declared myself "done" before she was all of the way out.) Lauren opened her eyes and cried right away, which put Jon at ease. Once Lauren was born, they transported us to the hospital....unfortunately, not the one where my OB group has privileges, but the one only 2 miles from my house. It's a shame that we don't have pictures of me being wheeled out of the house on a stretcher and my new infant daughter being carried out by an EMT wrapped in one of our blue bath towels. That would have been a great scrapbook page!
Needless to say, they took us to the hospital and checked everyone out. We were both fine, but as a result of all of the commotion, we didn't get any pictures right away.....it was almost 3am before we were settled into our room, and then Jon left at 6:30am to head home to relieve Rachel, get Hannah, and bring her over to meet Lauren. The pictures below were all taken about 10 hours after Lauren's arrival...ENJOY!
| 7 pounds of pure "cute" |
| Jon and his girls |
| Proud Papa |
| Mommy & Lauren |
6 comments:
Maybe Lauren didn't want Hannah's birth story to top hers! Glad you all made it through that safely.
So glad everything went ok. Sometime I'd like to hear the long version! Also hope things are going well with a new babe at home.
Wow - you're amazing! Congratulations! Next time, you'll have to be on reality TV to capture every moment! :)
WOW... I am glad that bathroom got remodeled so you were ready for that party you held in there !! LOL
Julie,
Wow! What a crazy story! Your girls certainly keep you on your toes with pregnancy/deliveries! However, I am thankful to hear that everything turned out well. Lauren is beautiful and you look great in your pictures after such a traumatic experience!! It looks like Hannah is quite enamored with her new sister, too!! I hope that Dr Ruedrich came to at least visit you at Dublin! :) He really got out of the most difficult part!!
Thanks for the update and I hope to swing by and meet this new little peanut in the next couple of weeks! I will let you know when my schedule lightens up and I check in to see if it's a good time to stop by! Take care and again, I am thankful everything turned out well for you!
:) Jen, NICU RN
OH MY GOD!!! Julie you have got to be kidding me! I was wondering why you were not there on Monday but figured you had delivered early and I had not heard from you! You and your crazy little girls! Think about how fun they are going to be as teenagers! I think it is time to see what a little boy would do for you guys! I am sure everyone is doing fine and is healthy?? I bet Jon, Hannah, and Rachel loved all that fun and excitement! Well at least you had a fast delivery considering you did it without an epidural! I love your pics! Lauren is so precious and Hannah is so big and sooo cute! She has grown so much since she was a little peanut in the NICU.
I would love to stop over and see the girls sometime while you are off on maternity leave after the crazy holidays are over. Congrats! I am so glad everything (although it was not planned) went well! You guys make such a great family!
Take care and let me know if you need anything.
Emily, L&D RN
Post a Comment