Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sonika & Mike's Reception

There was a huge gap between the wedding and reception, so Jon & I went home to nap and get ready for the fun at the reception -- and good thing, since I believe it was almost midnight when we left the hotel. I figure the reception needed a separate post because it had its own unique events and was so nice that we took lots of pictures. Enjoy a taste of a Punjabi wedding!

The reception was held at the William Penn Omni Hotel in Pittsburgh.
It looked like it was out of a magazine or movie - everything was "perfect."
I don't ever think I've been to a nicer reception. We had appetizers during the cocktail our in another room, which had an ice sculpture of an elephant and they actually had it rigged to water was coming out of the elephant's trunk! This photo is of the ballroom where we had dinner & dancing.

The beautiful cake
(3 different flavors - the only "American" food served at the reception)

The W&J gang - Marianne, Stacie, Kelly & me
I lived with all of these "science people" in college - all of my former roommates (including Sonika) are doctors. Marianne is an OB/GYN, Sonika is a Hematoligst/Oncologist, Stacie is a Family Practice Physician, Gigi (not pictured b/c she was working and couldn't come) is a Pediatrician, and Kelly has a PhD in Organic Chemistry. I am the lowly lawyer.

Sonika & Michael enter the reception hall!
Mike shaved between the ceremony & reception and changed into a tux. I'm guessing he was a little more comfortable than when he was in his morning attire. Almost everyone at the reception had on different clothes from the ceremony. Sonika also had a new wedding outfit and during the break had her hair and make-up re-done -- plus they had pictures taken. I'm sure their break was much busier than the one Jon & I had!

After a delicious Indian feast (and dances by Sonika & Mike, Sonika & her dad, and Mike & his mom.....as well as toasts by the parents and siblings), they had these guys perform a dance routine - it was really entertaining!

They also got EVERYONE up on the dance floor.

The headpieces with candles (that I talked about in my Mendhi post) made an appearance during the dancing at the reception -- and Stacie got pictures so now you can see what I was talking about....

Sonika's mom (far right) takes her turn with the candles.

Everyone was up dancing -- one of Sonika's parents' friends (or relatives) told us that if we didn't dance we had to help Dr. Gill pay for the wedding....that all got us up and on the dance floor!

Michael was called onto the dance floor and asked to show off his Punjabi moves for everyone. It was certainly funny -- but he did a great job. I've never seen so many people dance for such a long time at a wedding reception!

When we all got a chance to talk to Sonika during the reception, she showed off her brackets and henna. She told us that they put the bracelets on her Friday afternoon and it took a long time to get them on. She is supposed to wear them for 40 days! Wow.

Jon & I just before heading out for the evening. Although we didn't get many (any?) pictures of the guys, Marianne & Kelly's husbands (Scott & Mike) were in attendance! At least I did get proof that Jon was there.

No comments: