As a bit of background, when we first got pregnant, I started looking at daycare centers - not my first choice, but as "just in case." Then, when I landed in the hospital and our timing changed (as well as our doctor telling us that center care just wasn't an option), I got really worried that we wouldn't be able to find someone. Jon told me that I needed to trust him and let him find someone -- "I work with lots of women; they'll point me in the right direction." We had one lady whom we interviewed who would come to our house and watch Hannah. We both really liked her, but we couldn't pay enough for her to leave another job, and in the end I think that God had a hand in her not working for us, as her husband lost his job later in the year due to the economy.
At some point between when Jon went back to work and the end of the school year he found out about "our Lisa." He'd taught all of her kids and told me that her kids were "perfect" -- good students and good kids. He found out that she'd been a teacher and watched a bunch of his co-workers' kids (who gave her ringing endorsements)...and she was a Christian. What a relief to find someone so highly recommended with our same value system -- who had an open spot!! We interviewed her and I thought she sounded great. She promised daily notes so I'd know what was going on and I talked with her on the phone a few times and felt like she really "fit" with us. Plus, she understood my desire to get information from her instead of having to drag, cajole, etc. it out of Jon!
Let me just say that God placed this wonderful woman in our life and we have LOVED sending Hannah to her house this year. Hannah gets to play with other kids, goes on errands just like she would with me, and gets lots of love and attention. Plus, she's with an "experienced mom" so she may get better care at Lisa's than at home!! In all seriousness, I feel like Lisa is taking care of Hannah in the same way I would if I were home, and she is even able to offer us "tips" on how to handle her. The only difference is that if I were home, I wouldn't be baking the wonderful cakes that Lisa does! (No joke - she makes a mean cake, as the extended Woolley family will attest from our Memorial Day festivities.)
Hannah spends her day with Brandon, a 3-year old, Emma, a pre-schooler who leaves for pre-school after lunch, and Payton, Luke & Chase -- the "boys" who are only there before & after school. Brandon and Emma show up in some of the pictures that I'm posting, but I forgot to ask permission from Luke, Payton & Chase's parents to post their pictures, so you won't see them, but know that they LOVE Hannah and are always happy to see her. Emma plays with Hannah all of the time and adores her. Brandon is all boy, and only recently decided the "baby" was okay once she started to walk. I frequently get fun updates about what the kids do each day.
I'm fortunate in that I have an option to work or stay home. I choose to work because I really enjoy what I do, I think I'm good at what I do, and it challenges me. I also choose to work because I know that Hannah is being loved and cared for by someone I trust. I love being able to be out of the home 4 days a week doing something I enjoy, but yet coming home at night to someone who shrieks with delight when she sees me. I also think it is much easier to be a working mom on a 4-day schedule, where I have "Hannah and Mommy" time on Friday (and during the school year a women's Bible study). Will I always work like this ??? Who knows. Jon thinks it is good for me to work (Jon's family told me they knew it was time for me to go back to work when they showed up for a weekend visit last summer when I'd prepped an entire weekend's worth of food for 8 people in the fridge with labels as to what meal what items went with and cooking instructions for everything...). In the end, we'll do what is best for our family.
Lisa sent me some pictures that she's taken of Hannah over the past year at her house. ENJOY!
Halloween with Brandon & Emma
What a happy girl!
All smiles!
She's filling up more of that highchair!
What a fun toybox!
Hannah - who put the penguin on your head?!
Hannah playing with Brandon & Emma
We don't think Lisa wanted to give Hannah up today....
Hannah got to take a nap in Lisa's arms.
We'll see how the summer goes with Jon taking care of Hannah all day....Last summer I was on maternity leave for all but a few weeks, and Hannah is now VERY mobile, so I think Jon will have a challenging (but fun) few months ahead!
3 comments:
Okay, Julie,,,
Jon probably told you that I cried when he pick Hannah up last Thursday. Well, thanks to your commentary on my love for Hannah,,, I am crying again. Give her a special squeeze for me. We all miss her SO much!! Brandon and Peyton are here all summer with me, but can't replace Hannah's wonderful hugs she gives me!!
Lisa
So glad you have someone to care for Hannah that you can trust. It is priceless. I wouldn't give up our daycare provider for anything. Hannah is getting so big!
It's wonderful you both have such competent loving daycare providers.
Post a Comment